Educational Content Editor
- Editing (50%):
- Edit educational content (including some technical content, tables, equations, graphs, and citations) within an XML-based electronic publishing system to ensure clarity, accuracy, precision, readability, and integrity of content while maintaining conformity to the organization's style, revising copy as necessary.
- Substantively edit titles and descriptions using SEO best practices. Verify data, draft standard abstracts and headings, and cut characters for space and mobile optimization when needed.
- Edit figures to conform to the style and to ensure the integrity and clarity of tabular and graphic content, ensuring all figure types follow the organization's style; check calculations for consistency between text and figures and edit or create legends, explaining all symbols and abbreviations.
- Perform research for clarification and verification of terms, the organization's style, reference citations, etc. as necessary. Ensure completeness of all acknowledgments and edit references as needed.
- Move content through the editorial pipeline cleanly and quickly, meeting all deadlines and updating the content management system at each step in the process.
- Verify that all editorial policies are followed for text-based content; alert manager of problems or if dates need adjustment.
- Accurately prepare and format content for production, including supplemental materials.
- Quality Assurance (30%):
- Verify that proof/QA versions confirm to editorial and content provider changes; make revisions as required; ensure all sections and headings are accurate. Check citation, format, and placement of figures and tables within the text; verify figure legends. Check citation and organization of online supplemental content.
- Confirm all necessary permissions; check authorship forms, conflict of interest disclosure statements, data responsibility statement, author contributions.
- Check links and tagging to ensure quality online publication; verify that all links and interactive elements are accurate, function, and display properly.
- Relationship management (20%):
- Query and resolve inconsistencies and ambiguities while maintaining content clarity, precision, readability, accuracy, and integrity and use of the organization's style; negotiate approval of edited text, figures, and tables, obtaining any necessary permissions and last-minute revisions.
- Understand editorial policies and communicate them clearly to content providers, addressing questions and resolving any conflicts between provider requests and editorial policies and production capabilities, including deadline disputes on time-sensitive material.
- Perform any required liaison duties between the content provider and the editorial and production teams throughout the publication process (e.g., ensure that all materials meet deadlines, that the content provider is informed of changes in publication date, and investigate any errors that occur post-publication to ensure correction).
1. Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, or English.
- 3+ years’ experience related experience preferably as a manuscript editor, or proofreader for a medical, scientific, or technical publication.
3. Background in science, knowledge of medical terminology, and familiarity with the organization's Manual of Style and research methods strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with electronic editing software and content management systems, preferably an XML-based content markup, transformation, and production workflow management system (Aries Editorial/Production Manager preferred).
5. High level of concentration required to edit; attention to detail critical.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated positive attitude required for regular and frequent contacts with content providers, editors, and production staff.
7. Working knowledge of and experience with electronic text editing software/applications and basic file server structure preferred; experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and multiple web browsers.
8. Initiative and ability to organize and prioritize assignments. Must have ability to manage stress in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.